This American President delves into the lives and legacies of U.S. presidents through long form stories and interviews. It will challenge the way you look at American history. Hosted by Richard Lim. Art by NipRogers.com.
Richard Nixon entered office during one of the most tumultuous times in American history.
41. Fan in Chief: Richard Nixon and American Sp...
Richard Nixon was a pivotal figure in the nexus between American politics and sports.
BONUS: Richard Nixon's First Inaugural Address ...
On January 20, 1969, Richard Nixon delivered his first inaugural address—the culmination of one of the greatest comebacks in American political history.
40. His Own Worst Enemy Part 1 | Richard Nixon
Richard Nixon is one of the most vilified presidents and yet the American people chose him twice as vice president and twice as president.
39. Joseph Stalin's Formative Years with Ronald...
We interview Ronald G. Suny on his new book about the Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin.
BONUS: The History of WWII Podcast | 316-FDR: T...
Ray Harris Jr of The History of WWII Podcast is joined by Richard Lim to discuss Franklin D. Roosevelt.
38. James Garfield: The Last Lincoln Republican...
When he was shot by assassin Charles Guiteau, President James Garfield was robbed of his place in history.
37. Abraham Lincoln in His Times with David S. ...
An enduring theme of Abraham Lincoln's life was his genius for striking a balance between opposing forces.
36. The Price of Ambition Part 3 | John F. Kennedy
The origins of America's disastrous intervention in Vietnam—and JFK’s own tragic demise.
35. John F. Kennedy's Early Years with Fredrik ...
John F. Kennedy's early years were formative for his ability to steer the nation through perilous events during his presidency.
34. The Price of Ambition Part 2 | John F. Kennedy
In October of 1962, John F. Kennedy and Nikita Khrushchev went to the brink of nuclear armageddon.
33. Washington's Cabinet with Lindsay Chervinsky
We take the president’s cabinet for granted but Professor Lindsay M. Chervinsky shows that it’s creation wasn’t a foregone conclusion.
32. Jackie Kennedy Onassis with Paul Brandus
Paul Brandus discusses his new book, Jackie: Her Transformation from First Lady to Jackie O, and how Jackie Kennedy sought to build a life without JFK.
31. The Price of Ambition Part 1 | John F. Kennedy
John F. Kennedy entered office amid great expectations and high ambitions. But his idealism would soon crash into the realities of the Cold War.
30. The World According to Vladimir Putin with ...
Vladimir Putin remains one of the world’s most enigmatic leaders, but Professor Brian Taylor has spent years studying what makes the Russian president tick.
29. Abraham Lincoln: The Master of Fake News wi...
They called him Honest Abe, but according to author Elizabeth Mitchell, Abraham Lincoln wasn't always honest.
28. Confirming a Supreme Court Justice In An El...
GOP senators are moving to confirm Amy Coney Barrett to replace the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
27. The Blueprint: Washington’s Farewell Addres...
In 1796, George Washington decided to retire after decades of public service, but he was worried for his nation’s future.
26. What Happens if the President is Incapacita...
President Trump’s COVID diagnosis raises questions about what happens when the president is incapacitated.
25. The History of Presidential Elections with ...
In the middle of a heated presidential election, historian Jarrett Stepman explains what lessons history has to offer about the electoral college, running mate selections, and televised debates.
24. America’s Suffragists: 100 Years Later with...
100 years after the 19th amendment, Jane Hampton Cook’s book Resilience on Parade recounts the long struggle to secure women the right to vote nationwide.
23. Dwight D. Eisenhower's Legacy with Merrill ...
The grandson of the 34th president, Merrill Eisenhower Atwater continues his family’s tradition of public service as CEO of People to People International.
22. On the Edge of Armageddon Part 2 | Dwight D...
Some remember Dwight D. Eisenhower’s presidency as a time of peace and prosperity, but in reality, it was an era of constant global crises.
21. On the Edge of Armageddon Part 1 | Dwight D...
Few men entered the presidency as prepared as Dwight D. Eisenhower, but the Cold War required exquisite statesmanship.
BONUS: Pandemics, Presidents, and Prophets
Our host Richard and Joey Brown discuss the smallpox pandemic during the American Revolution and the Spanish Flu and the lessons those events have to offer for the present COVID-19 pandemic.
20. The Power of the Universe Part 2 | Harry S....
Harry S. Truman, a former haberdasher from Missouri, presided over the final victory in World War II, but a new conflict emerged: the Cold War.
BONUS: State of the Podcast + Kickstarter Project
Richard and Michael answer questions from listeners including the origin story of the podcast and what goes into making an episode. They also announce a Kickstarter Project to fund a podcast studio. To become a...
19. The Power of the Universe Part 1 | Harry S....
In 1945, Harry S. Truman made one of the most fateful decisions any president has ever had to make: to use the atomic bomb as a weapon of war.
18. FDR's Final Odyssey: D-Day to Yalta with Ni...
Nigel Hamilton is the author of an epic-three part biography on Franklin D. Roosevelt.
17. Apollo 11 Splashdown with Navy Frogman John...
When John Wolfram joined the US Navy in 1967, he did not know he would become the first person to see the Apollo 11 astronauts after the moon landing.
16. A Gulf of Civil Horror | George Washington
George Washington is known as the “Indispensible Man” of the American Revolution.
15. Presidential Fight Club with Scott Rank
Scott Rank discusses his podcast "Presidential Fight Club", which seeks to answer the question "If all of the presidents fought each other one-on-one, who would win?"
14. Gen. Michael Hayden, Director of the NSA an...
General Michael V. Hayden was on the front lines during President Bush’s War on Terror.
13. Will and Ted’s Imperial Adventure Part 2 | ...
The Spanish-American War is at hand and America faces even more temptations towards imperialism in the Philippine-American War.
12. Will and Ted’s Imperial Adventure Part 1 | ...
The unlikely pair of William McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt transformed their nation from an isolationist republic to a global empire.
11. The Great American Conqueror Part 2 | James...
When James K. Polk left the presidency, he was exhausted with just months to live—but he left his nation a continental giant.
10. The Great American Conqueror Part 1 | James...
Politicians are known for breaking promises, but not James K. Polk.
9. The Art of the Steal | Thomas Jefferson
It took America a little bit of luck and the collective genius of Jefferson, Madison, and Monroe to secure the Louisiana Purchase from France.
8. The Women Who Would Be President
No woman has ever served as president, but it isn’t for lack of trying.
7. Photographing the President with Bob Knudsen
As a White House photographer for six presidents, Bob Knudsen had a front row seat for some of the most important events in modern history.
6. The Inscrutable Man Part 2 | Franklin D. Roo...
Franklin D. Roosevelt spent his last years as president winning one world war while trying to prevent another.
5. The Inscrutable Man Part 1 | Franklin D. Roo...
In 1944, Americans elected Franklin D. Roosevelt to an unprecedented fourth term as president, but few knew that he was a dying man.
4. Ronald Reagan's Life After Presidency with P...
In 1989, Peggy Grande got the opportunity of a lifetime when she became the executive assistant to former President Ronald Reagan.
3. Fake News and Nasty Men: The 1876 Election
Before Bush v Gore and Trump v Biden, there was Hayes v Tilden, the nastiest presidential race in American history.
2. Smile of the Demagogue | Andrew Johnson
Fate put Andrew Johnson in the White House during a critical time in American history—a unique opportunity that he completely squandered.
1. The First American Action Hero | George Wash...
He might look like an old man on the one-dollar bill, but George Washington was once a bona fide action hero.
Introducing This American President
This American President delves into the lives and legacies of U.S. presidents through long form stories and interviews.